What are the leading causes of death in men?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the top three leading causes of death in men are heart disease, cancer and accidental injuries. Looking closer at the causes of death from cancer in men, the most common are lung cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer.
The average life expectancy for men is 76 years. If you’re a man who wants to push that number as high as possible -- or a woman who wants the same for your husband, father or brother -- you may be interested in the leading causes of death for men.
  • Heart disease tops the list. Heart disease includes heart failure, arrhythmia and coronary artery disease.
  • The leading causes of cancer death in men are lung, prostate and colorectal.
  • Accidents are a leading cause of death, including falls, sports injuries, fires and car accidents.
  • Strokes are a common cause of death. A stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is disrupted, either from a blood clot or a blood vessel tearing.
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is also on the list. COPD refers to two lung diseases: chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
  • Rounding out the list is diabetes. Now considered an epidemic, diabetes affects the body’s ability to produce or use insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas that helps cells take in glucose (blood sugar) for energy.

Continue Learning about Men's Health

Major Surgery More Likely in Men with Breast Cancer
It’s easy to forget that men can develop breast cancer, just like women can. However, men are much more likely than women to receive major mastectomy ...
Why do men change television channels so much?
A man is more inclined to hog the remote because they are less likely to become invested in a te...
Essential Health Tests for Men at Any Age
Essential Health Tests for Men at Any AgeEssential Health Tests for Men at Any AgeEssential Health Tests for Men at Any AgeEssential Health Tests for Men at Any Age
Track your health with these screening tests.
Should I Get a Prostate Cancer Screening If I Have No Family History of It?