What is polypoid melanoma?

Polypoid melanoma is a subtype of nodular melanoma, the most aggressive form of melanoma (a skin cancer). Polypoid melanoma, like all types of melanoma, starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Polypoid melanoma is most commonly found on the torso but may be found in unexpected places like the nasal mucous membranes and the rectum. Sometimes polypoid melanoma may develop on moles on your skin, but it usually occurs out of nowhere on normal skin. Polypoid melanoma can be treated if it's diagnosed early, but the disease progresses very rapidly and has a worse prognosis than many other types of melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overgro...
How common is melanoma?
More than 53,000 people are diagnosed with melanoma every year in the United States. The number of n...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?