What causes desmoplastic melanoma?

Though the specific cause of desmoplastic melanoma is unknown, it's thought that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. In people with melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of the skin cells that produce skin pigment, which results in a cancerous melanoma. The development of desmoplastic melanoma may be influenced by exposure to ultraviolet radiation, since the lesions usually form on sun-exposed skin. Many times, desmoplastic melanoma develops alongside a lentigo maligna, which is another type of skin growth.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
Where does melanoma occur?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
The most deadly form of skin cancer is melanoma. In men, it is seen most commonly on the belly (abdo...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?