What causes desmoplastic melanoma?

Though the specific cause of desmoplastic melanoma is unknown, it's thought that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. In people with melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of the skin cells that produce skin pigment, which results in a cancerous melanoma. The development of desmoplastic melanoma may be influenced by exposure to ultraviolet radiation, since the lesions usually form on sun-exposed skin. Many times, desmoplastic melanoma develops alongside a lentigo maligna, which is another type of skin growth.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Regular Doctor Visits May Help You Survive Skin Cancer
You may be able to outlive melanoma—the most serious type of skin cancer—by doing one simple thing: seeing your doctor regularly. Find top doctors in...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?