What are the symptoms of lentigo maligna melanoma?

Symptoms of lentigo maligna melanoma are usually large, flat, irregularly-shaped tan patches on the skin. These growths usually form on sun-exposed skin on the nose, cheeks, ears, and elsewhere on the head and neck. In lentigo maligna melanoma, the lesions begin in the epidermis, or the topmost layer of skin, but may spread to affect the dermis, or middle layer of skin. Since symptoms vary from person to person, it's important to see a doctor if you think you may have lentigo maligna melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?