How is polypoid melanoma diagnosed?

The first step of diagnosing polypoid melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. Polypoid melanoma may be diagnosed later than other types of melanoma because it takes longer for a person to notice the symptoms since the growths typically spread deeper into the skin rather than wider across the skin. A doctor will first visually examine the growth, and if polypoid melanoma is suspected, a biopsy will usually be performed. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?