How is polypoid melanoma diagnosed?

The first step of diagnosing polypoid melanoma usually involves a visual inspection. Polypoid melanoma may be diagnosed later than other types of melanoma because it takes longer for a person to notice the symptoms since the growths typically spread deeper into the skin rather than wider across the skin. A doctor will first visually examine the growth, and if polypoid melanoma is suspected, a biopsy will usually be performed. This procedure involves removing all or part of the growth and analyzing it under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overgro...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?