Can people with ADHD get Supplemental Security Income benefits?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
At times, people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) qualify for benefits including Supplemental Security Income (SSI). According to the National Institutes of Health, you must demonstrate financial need and meet one or more of the following qualifications to receive SSI:

  • You are 65 or older.
  • You are disabled by your condition.
  • You are blind.

SSI benefits include monthly payments to help with costs of daily living, medications, and treatments. Children and adults may be eligible for this program. If you qualify for SSI, you may also qualify to receive Medicaid and food stamps. To find out whether you are eligible to receive SSI, call or write to the Social Security Disability organization near you.
Dr. Michael Roizen, MD
Internal Medicine
Some people with ADHD may qualify to get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. First, you or your child must be classified as disabled by ADHD based on the federal definition. Next, you must meet the financial requirements based on family income. These rules get as technical as an official review of a play in football, so to find out if you qualify for SSI, check with your local Social Security office.

Continue Learning about Medicaid



Medicaid is a U.S. government program that helps pay for medical costs and health care for certain individuals, including those with low income and low resources, children, the disabled, pregnant women, the blind and the elderly. ...

Medicaid insurance is jointly funded by the federal and state governments. Each state administers its own Medicaid program, so Medicaid eligibility requirements vary. Learn more about how to qualify for Medicaid and healthcare resources available with expert advice from Sharecare.

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.