How can I increase rotational power for strikes during a fight?

Great rotational power for strikes during a fight comes from the hips and the muscles of the core. When trying to increase the velocity coming from the hips followed by the trunk, it is extremely important to mimic the same sequencing of the particular striking you are trying to target when training. To achieve this effect, begin your training with a reverse crunch with rotation. Lying face-up on a stable bench, reach your arms over your head and grab the end of the bench. Drawing the belly button inward, bring the hips up toward your chest and rotate at the top of the movement. Return to the start position and repeat the motion to the opposite side. For the next exercise, perform a tubing rotation. Attach resistance tubing to a stable post approximately chest high and hold the tubing in your hands. Stand in an athletic stance and point the feet and hips forward with the resistance tubing coming from the side. Draw the belly button inward and begin rotating from the torso in order to engage the muscles of the core. Perform three sets of ten repetitions of each exercise.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Does watching fight video actually help?
Watching and studying fight video of yourself, your opponent, or even someone you aspire to emul...
What are some stretches I can do for my shoulders?
Prior to training I suggest using soft tissue techniques such massage or foam rolling to target the ...
How can I improve my lower-body strength to defend against takedowns?
 Strength exercises which target all of the major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders and legs) sh...