How can I improve elbow speed in combat?

Perform stable strength exercises followed immediately by explosive movements for the same muscle group. For example, because the chest and front deltoid are responsible for the downward movement of the elbow during a strike, perform a dumbbell chest press followed immediately by an explosive plyometric pushup (hands come off the ground). Next, because the muscles of the shoulder are responsible for initiating the elevation of the arm at the onset of the elbow strike, perform a standing barbell shoulder press, followed immediately by elbow striking on a heavy bag.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
What are some stretches I can do for my shoulders?
Prior to training I suggest using soft tissue techniques such massage or foam rolling to target the ...
How can I improve punching speed and power?
Pair a stable strength exercise with a quick, explosive power exercise in a superset to best make ga...
What are some characteristics seen in combat sports?
Combat sports such as MMA incorporate power output, endurance, three-dimensional movement, and techn...