Why are medical records important?

Medical records are important to you for many reasons. Medical records can be used to:

• Support reimbursement for health services provided
  • Provide evidence of injury and treatment for workers’ compensation
  • Provide evidence of disability for disability insurance
  • Identify people who have had a specific treatment when it has been discovered that this treatment caused some adverse events
  • Study disease trends to identify potential environmental or genetic causes
  • Track changes in your physical findings such as growth of a mole. Baselines are recorded so changes are recognized.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

How to Protect Yourself from Medical Records Glitches
As more providers start using electronic health records (EHRs), the dream is that it'll be easier for everyone to work together and share information—...
How do I create a medical family history?
Carrie BilickiCarrie Bilicki
In 2004, the Surgeon General declared Thanksgiving to be National Family History Day. The U.S. Depar...
Where should I keep my important legal documents?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Give copies of important legal documents directly to the person who is responsible for carrying ...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?