Why is it important to keep my medical records?

Your health information can be used in many situations including:

•   Asking for a reasonable accommodation or adjustment to your work environment or schedule so that you can continue to work
  •   Filing a claim if you experience discrimination at work
  •   Completing applications for insurance policies
  •   Preparing your tax returns

You may need health care records, such as immunizations, when you enroll your children in school. You'll also need a history (with dates) of past illnesses and surgeries whenever you visit a new doctor. While some health information may be easy to remember, it's helpful to have a record of past and current medications, along with dosage, and any drugs you may not tolerate well.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Top 7 Common Privacy Myths About Your Health Information
You’ve probably heard of HIPAA, the law that protects your medical privacy. In short, HIPAA limits how healthcare providers, insurers and employers ca...
What should I do if my doctor does not give me access to my records?
SharecareSharecare
It's unlikely that your doctor will refuse to turn over your records. Doctors' offices are regularly...
Should my health provider tell me how they may use my health information?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
You can learn how your health information is used and shared by your provider or health insurer. The...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?