What are the ways that my healthcare information may be used and shared?

To make sure that your health information privacy is protected without interfering with your health care, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule allows your information to be used and shared in the following ways:
  • For your treatment and care coordination. For example, your doctors can see what tests you have had and their results, so tests do not have to be repeated
  • With doctors and hospitals that provide you care, to provide payment for their services
  • To make sure doctors and other healthcare professionals give good care
  • For protection of the public's health, such as to report when the flu is in your area
Your healthcare provider or health plan does not have to ask you whether they can use or share your health information for these purposes.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Learn How to Get a Copy of Your Medical Records
There are a number of reasons you may want to access your medical records. Maybe you need proof of a medical condition. Perhaps you need your records ...
How can I approach my relatives when developing a family medical history?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Your family may want to work together on developing your family medical history. Holidays and reunio...
Where can I locate my health record if my doctor dies?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
If your doctor dies, his or her estate has an obligation to retain your records, including immunizat...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?