What is a patient portal?

A patient portal is a secure, password-protected website that allows people to access their medical records, either from a home computer or a mobile device. Using this information, people can review items about their personal health to ensure accuracy and easily monitor their own health trends–including important numbers such as blood pressure.

People who are better informed about their own health are able to take better care of themselves and have better outcomes. While patient portals are valuable to patients and parents of minor children, they’re also extremely valuable to caregivers of older people.

Once the person has granted access, caregivers can review their loved one’s medical record and become informed about their loved one’s care without being at the doctor’s appointment.

Having a patient portal is a culture change for patients, doctors and staff, but this level of transparency is beneficial for everyone. It starts an important and valuable dialogue that will improve care for everyone.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Top 7 Common Privacy Myths About Your Health Information
You’ve probably heard of HIPAA, the law that protects your medical privacy. In short, HIPAA limits how healthcare providers, insurers and employers ca...
What will my medical file look like in the future?
If the US Department of Health and Human Services has its way, soon you'll carry your entire health ...
What are the benefits of having direct access to my health records?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
Studies have shown that when healthcare providers make patients’ records available to them, it benef...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?