What information does an electronic health record contain?

An electronic health record (EHR) is a collection of information about you and your health. It is organized in a way that makes it easy for health care providers to get the information they need to make better-informed decisions about how to treat you when illnesses arise.

Your EHR contains your medical history, including major surgeries, chronic conditions, your age, height and weight, any allergies and medications you have taken or are currently taking.

An electronic health record (EHR) contains patient health information, such as:
  • Medical history
  • Diagnoses
  • Medications
  • Immunization dates
  • Allergies
  • Radiology images
  • Lab and test results

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

How to Keep Your Personal Health Record
How to Keep Your Personal Health Record
If you’ve decided that you’re ready to take the plunge and create your own personal health record (PHR), congratulations! A PHR is a powerful tool tha...
What is family history?
Your family health history is a record of medical information about you and your close relatives. A ...
How can I make sure emergency personnel find my medication information?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In some communities, health history and medication information is kept on the refrigerator and a...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?