What should I consider when requesting my medical record information?

For each healthcare provider from whom you wish to receive your medical records, prepare to make your request by writing down what information you want and how you would like to receive it. Think about the following questions:
  • Are you looking for all the information your provider has about you, or for specific information about, for example, a particular condition or office visit?
  • What type of information are you looking for?
  • Do you want your records on paper or electronically (if available)? If you want them electronically, how do you want to receive them (via the web, on a flash drive, on a CD, etc.)? Note that your provider may not be able to support your preferred format.
Once you know what you're looking for, contact your healthcare provider's office to find out how to submit your request. In some cases, your doctor may provide instructions for requesting your records on his or her practice website or in a handout about privacy policies.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Smart Ways to Use Your Medical Records
Smart Ways to Use Your Medical Records
The same law that protects the privacy of your medical records, known as HIPAA, also gives you access to your medical records. That means you can requ...
What are the benefits of having direct access to my health records?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
Studies have shown that when healthcare providers make patients’ records available to them, it benef...
Why should I review my hospital bill?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Sometimes a careful inspection of your hospital bill will turn up mistakes or duplications which, wh...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?