What is the concept of meaningful use?

As you become involved with electronic health records (EHRs), one of the things you'll hear about is the concept of meaningful use -- part of the standards and criteria developed in the health field to encourage a smooth, productive transition to EHRs.

"Meaningful use" refers to the CMS Medicare and Medicaid Incentive Payment Program driving the adoption of electronic health record technologies amongst certain  eligible hospitals and doctors. The ultimate goal is to bring about health care that is:
  • Patient-centered
  • Evidence-based
  • Prevention-oriented
  • Efficient
  • Equitable

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Top 7 Common Privacy Myths About Your Health Information
You’ve probably heard of HIPAA, the law that protects your medical privacy. In short, HIPAA limits how healthcare providers, insurers and employers ca...
Who should have copies of my medical and legal documents?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
These are important documents and should be readily available in a medical emergency, especially...
What is the training for the people involved in managing my health records?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
Typically, the people who are responsible for the oversight and management of all patient health rec...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?