Why do nurses keep asking my name in the hospital?

Nurses and other healthcare providers do many different things when they take care of you in the hospital. They will frequently confirm who you are, why you are in the hospital, and what procedure you are scheduled to receive. These measures serve as a “double check” for your safety. Many societies and medical groups recommend that caregivers confirm your identity before caring for you in order to ensure that each patient receives the right care at the right time.
Patient safety checks are an important component of medical care. For example, if a nurse comes into the room to check your vital signs or administer medications, it is important that he or she verify your name. Verifying information such as your name and age is a safety measure to prevent medication errors and allergic reactions. Some people might find multiple requests to verify identifiers rude, if it’s not explained to them as a safety measure.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Former CDC Director Takes Steps to Eradicate Heart Disease
For eight years, during the Obama administration, Dr. Tom Frieden, MD, was director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). During hi...
What should I know before my child leaves the hospital?
Before you leave the hospital, the doctor should explain what normal healing and recovery will look ...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient