Why do I need a doctor if I am healthy?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Having annual physical exams and laboratories may screen for problems you are not even aware of. For example, a heart murmur may be picked up on physical exam and needs further work up. Blood tests may reveal abnormal levels requiring supplements and follow up. Preventative medicine is always the best medicine. 
It’s easy to think that feeling fine translates into nothing being wrong, but aging can bring on health changes that your doctor should be tracking.

As people age, they often transition very slowly into worse health. Poor eating habits and lack of exercise start to catch up with them. People gradually gain weight and their blood pressure and cholesterol start to creep up. Old sports injuries become bothersome again, then become a part of daily aches and pains.

When health changes happen slowly, it can be easy to shrug them off. The thing is, the slow accumulation of these issues start adding up to real problems. Normal blood pressure can slowly creep up to high blood pressure; a limp over years can add up to arthritis, and a little extra weight can slowly grow into obesity, all without anything really seeming different from day to day.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.
Dr. John J. Connolly
Healthcare Insurance & Policy
Everyone needs a doctor, even when they are healthy, because a doctor not only manages and cures illness, but also, hopefully, helps prevent illness and promotes wellness. Having a regular relationship with your primary care doctor is important and can be critical in diagnosing potential issues. It is difficult for a doctor you are seeing for the first time to know your history, your body, your normal function and presentation, and your emotions to recognize differences that may indicate problems.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Choosing a Dentist You'll Want to See (Again and Again)
Maybe you've recently moved, or your old dentist retired, or you've had a bad dental office experience. Whatever the reason, you're on the hunt for a ...
How can I make sure I get proper care in the hospital?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
In the hospital, patients' charts can get mixed up, so talk to everyone who brings you a pill or...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient