question

What is a chief complaint?

Steven V. Gurland, MD
Steven V. Gurland, MD on behalf of MDLIVE
answer

A  Chief complaint is the medical term used to describe the primary problem of the patient that led the patient to seek medical attention and of which they are most concerned.

The chief complaint is obtained by the Physician in the initial part of the visit when the medical history is being taken.It will be elicited by asking the patient what brings them to be seen ?and what major symptoms or problems they are experiencing?

It is not the part of the history that deals with chronic medical problems or family history of disease.It focuses the physicians attention on what the priority should be in the evaluation of the patient. It helps to direct  the additional history taking and it helps to lead to the appropriate physical exam of the pertinent organ systems of the patient that are relevant to the problem.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Should I go to a healthcare provider, urgent care, or the ER?
Whether it’s a bump on the head or a really bad cold, when you're hurting, all you want to do is feel better. But where do you go for the care you ne...
Patient Stories: Know Yourself
Patient Stories: Know Yourself
Nathan R. was 55 when he began to notice that his hearing wasn't quite right and that his equilibrium was off. He noticed dizziness and vertigo when h...
Why do nurses keep asking my name in the hospital?
Nurses and other healthcare providers do many different things when they take care of you in the hos...
7 Health Tests You May Not Need
7 Health Tests You May Not Need7 Health Tests You May Not Need7 Health Tests You May Not Need7 Health Tests You May Not Need
Over-testing can add costs and could reduce your quality of care. When your healthcare provider orders a medical test, chances are you trust their cl...