What is a complication?

In medicine, a complication is a medical problem that occurs during a disease, or after a procedure or treatment. The complication may be caused by the disease, procedure, or treatment or may be unrelated to them.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

What to Expect in the ER
What to Expect in the ER
As an emergency room doctor, I know that an ER visit can be a scary experience—you don’t feel well, waits can be long and you’re worried about yoursel...
How do I find an expert in the field of neurology in my area?
Dr. John J. ConnollyDr. John J. Connolly
Neurology is a medical specialty that treats disorders of the neurological system. Typically your pr...
Know Before You Go: Nutritionist
Know Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: NutritionistKnow Before You Go: Nutritionist
A food diary can help you get the most from your visit with a dietitian or nutritionist. Check out these smart ways to log what you eat.
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient