What does a pediatric neurologist do?

A pediatric neurologist is a specialist in the neurological disorders of children and adolescents. Generally this physician has had training in pediatrics and then spends another 3 years focusing on neurological disorders.
A pediatric neurologist diagnoses, manages and treats neurologic conditions in the pediatric population. These conditions can include epilepsy, neuromuscular disorders (e.g. muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy), headaches, sleep disorders (e.g. OSA), neurogenetic disorders, movement disorders (e.g. tic disorders like Tourette Syndrome) and neurologic sequelae from metabolic disorders (e.g. Tay Sachs, McCardle's disease.)

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Consider a Family Medicine Doctor For the Whole Family
Can you name the BBC’s whacky sci-fi show that’s been running off and on since 1963? Dr. Who is now a super-series. It focuses on a time-traveling, pe...
What can I expect if my child is isolated in a hospital?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The purpose of isolation is to keep germs from spreading to other patients, visitors, and hospit...
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?