How can I get support when my child is hospitalized?

Plan ahead and reach out to family and friends. Take them up on their offers to help (if they didn’t offer, no holiday newsletter for them). Having people to run errands, help with driving, and watch your other children during the disruption can be amazingly helpful. If someone has a nice, hot meal waiting for you at home, even better.

Get over any guilt. If you’re like most moms and dads I know, you’re a giving person and would help out a neighbor or friend with a sick child in a moment, so be open to receiving help this time. Remember, it’s impossible to do it all yourself. And you’ll have plenty of chances to return these favors. Parental union bylaws demand it.

Don’t forget to alert teachers and counselors at your children’s schools; they can smooth out potential hassles due to missed time and, more important, act as your eyes and ears, watching for any behavior changes or signs of stress among your other children. Make sure, too, that you and your spouse take care of yourselves and try (try; that’s all I’m saying) to get enough rest and eat properly.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Why You Should Always Seek Second Opinions
Stand-up legend Rodney Dangerfield became famous for his quips about how he got no respect from anyone. “My psychiatrist told me I’m going crazy,” wen...
What is medical tourism?
Ruth Politi, MSNRuth Politi, MSN
Medical tourism is growing in popularity among informed people who seek healthcare that is affordabl...
Why should one doctor be in charge of your hospital stay?
To shorten your hospital stay (and make it safer), you want one doctor to be the head coach who call...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz. Colonoscopies can ...