Where can I lodge a complaint against a hospital?

The hospital wasn't clean, or your meds were consistently screwed up? The place just isn't safe? Get mad! Complain! Here's how: If you're in a Joint Commission–accredited hospital (another reason to choose one), voice your grievance (anonymously, if you prefer) by calling the Joint Commission's Patient Safety Hot Line at (800) 994-6610 (weekdays, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM central time), or describe the problem in no more than two pages and e-mail it to complaint@jcaho.org.

You can also find the form at http://www.jcaho.org; click on "Have a complaint," and it will take you to the report form. You can fill it out online or print it out and mail it to the address given on the Web site. Make sure you include all the identifying information about the health care organization (name, full address, city, and state).

If the patient is still in the offending hospital or you're an employee there, don't worry about retaliation because it's kept strictly confidential (honestly). What the Joint Commission cannot help you with? Billing issues or disputes, insurance issues, personnel concerns, and anything at all at an unaccredited facility. Call if you're in doubt.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

It’s Never Too Late To Take Control of Your Health
If you’ve ever given up on a New Year’s resolution, said ‘yes’ to junk food (again and again) or whispered to yourself, “I can’t do it ,” this column...
How can I prepare my adolescent for a hospital stay?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
Starting around age ten, kids will have a lot of questions and fears about any medical treatment. An...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?