How can I determine if a doctor will be easy to reach by phone or e-mail?

Dr. John J. Connolly
Healthcare Insurance & Policy
It is often difficult to reach a doctor for a phone call. They are often busy with other patients and you may end up talking with an office nurse. More and more doctors are responding to patient e-mails. However, doctors do not get compensated for phone calls and e-mails and that is often why they prefer to see you in person. Also, your appearance can tell a good deal about your health status that is not discernable in a phone call or e-mail. Accurate diagnoses are better made in-person than by phone or Internet.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

It's Your Health—Be an Expert
It's Your Health—Be an Expert
A good working partnership with your doctor is key to getting the most appropriate care for your health needs. But the patient-doctor relationship isn...
How should I talk about my chronic illness to a prospective employer?
Rosalind JoffeRosalind Joffe
In talking to a prospective employer about your chronic illness, be as public as you need to be ...
Know Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Know Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Get tips for what credentials and licensing you should look for in mental health professionals – plus, learns questions you should ask before your vis...
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?