Is being in a bad mood unhealthy?

As we age, bad moods have an increasingly harmful effect on our bodies. Negative feelings of anger, anxiety, sadness, and jealousy cause the brain to signal the adrenal glands to release the stress hormone cortisol. While cortisol can be helpful in small amounts, long-term exposure can cause aging and inflammation of the blood vessels, leading to increased blood pressure, weight gain, and potentially fatal heart disease.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Managing Negative Emotions

Be Less Furious: 7 Smart Tips to a Calmer You
Whether you’re irritated by inconveniences or fly into a fury at the slightest provocation, we can all benefit from learning to cope effectively with ...
How can I change negative thoughts?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
Look at each part of the thought and think about how you can restructure it. If you truly cannot...
How do I stop negative self talk?
To stop negative self talk you must first become aware of it. Once you are aware of it, then you...
Holding a Grudge
Holding a Grudge