Why have my elderly parents become stubborn and uncooperative?

Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
Geriatric Medicine

Sometimes, behaviors WE may consider "stubborn and uncooperative" would be described by our elders as an assertion of their independence. The looming question: is the elder making decisions that place them at risk of harm? Even if the answer is "yes", as long as the elder retains the capacity to make their own decisions - they retain the right to do so. This is true whether we like those decisions or not.

It can be hard, as loving family & friends, to resist the impulse to rush in with advice and assistance. Certainly, we do need to be on "stand by" - we will be needed soon enough. If there is a question about an elder's mental capacity, an evaluation by a good health care provider with geriatric experience is in order. But just as our young adults have a right to test their wings - move away from home, run up a charge card (and learn to pay it off), fall madly in love and get their hearts broken... c'est la vie. Living our lives is why we're here. Our "stubborn and uncooperative" elders know that, and are hanging on to every bit. Feisty works!

Continue Learning about Managing Changes Due To Aging

what happens to my body as i get older ?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Getting older doesn't have to be a scary process. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller explains what cond...
why is my elderly relative so cold all the time ?
There are several potential reasons why your elderly relative is cold. As we age our metabolism slow...
why do i gain weight as i get older ?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Because a person's metabolic rate naturally declines with age, older adults need fewer calories. The...
what are some tips for healthy aging ?
One of the top diet strategies to age healthy and to eat to extend longevity is to eat two fish (pre...