Why might my husband have blood in his semen?

Howard E. Lewine, MD
Hospitalist
It is not unusual for a man to notice blood in the semen (the ejaculate). Doctors call this hematospermia. Although there are several causes, quite often no specific reason is found.

The most common time men notice bloody semen is after a prostate biopsy or a vasectomy. The problem may last for three to four weeks after the procedure.

Your husband should tell his doctor if the problem happens more than three weeks or if he has any of these other symptoms:
  • Pain when he ejaculates
  • Pain when he urinates
  • Fever
  • Pain, tenderness or swelling in the genital area
  • Low back pain
These symptoms would suggest that he has an infection or, rarely, an abnormal growth or tumor.

Continue Learning about Male Reproductive System

The Sperm Work Out
The Sperm Work Out
Feodor Vassilyev (1707-1782) fathered 69 children with one wife, who gave birth to 16 twins, seven triplets and four sets of quadruplets. That’s the l...
What are the testes?
The testes are the two male reproductive organs housed in the scrotum. They're responsible for repro...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic bacterial prostatitis symptoms?
If you have symptoms that could be caused by chronic bacterial prostatitis, you should talk to y...
Watermelon Juice: A Smart Sipper for Sexual Performance