How does malaria affect the body?

After being bitten by a mosquito carrying malaria, a person will not notice symptoms for one week to one month. During this time, malaria parasites multiply in a person's liver before invading red blood cells in the bloodstream. Once inside a person's red blood cells, the parasites continue to multiply and spread the infection. Infected red blood cells eventually rupture, causing a person to experience flu-like symptoms that include sweating, high fevers and chills, and nausea. As the disease progresses, a person's spleen and liver enlarge. Malaria may cause anemia or jaundice. In some severe cases, it attacks the brain and create neurological problems.

Continue Learning about Malaria

Can I donate blood if I have malaria?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You must wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria before you are eligible to donate blood...
Who is most at risk of death from malaria during an epidemic?
Individuals at highest risk of death from malaria reside in areas in which malaria is endemic. In ad...
What Do We Really Know about Malaria Today?
What Can Your Genomic Technology Do If a SARS- or Avian Flu-like Illness Emerged Today?