How does malaria affect the body?

After being bitten by a mosquito carrying malaria, a person will not notice symptoms for one week to one month. During this time, malaria parasites multiply in a person's liver before invading red blood cells in the bloodstream. Once inside a person's red blood cells, the parasites continue to multiply and spread the infection. Infected red blood cells eventually rupture, causing a person to experience flu-like symptoms that include sweating, high fevers and chills, and nausea. As the disease progresses, a person's spleen and liver enlarge. Malaria may cause anemia or jaundice. In some severe cases, it attacks the brain and create neurological problems.

Continue Learning about Malaria

Can I donate blood if I have traveled to an area where malaria is found?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You must wait 12 months from your departure from a country where malaria is found. Guidelines on el...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with malaria?
Prompt treatment for a person with malaria can help ensure that the infection will be taken care...
Why Do We Still Rely on Bed Nets to Wipe Out Malaria in Developing Countries?
What Is the State of Malaria Research?
What Is the State of Malaria Research?