Why can stress cause magnesium deficiency?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
Most people, when exposed to the stress of continuous loud noise, become irritable, easily fatigued, and lose concentration. Your blood pressure may increase as the level of adrenaline (a stress hormone) increases in the blood.

Under conditions of mental or physical stress, magnesium is released from your blood cells and goes into the blood plasma. From there, it's excreted into the urine.

Chronic stress depletes your body of magnesium, leading to magnesium deficiency symptoms. The greater your level of stress, the greater the loss of magnesium.

The lower your initial magnesium level is, the more reactive to stress you become, and the higher your level of adrenaline in stressful situations. Higher adrenaline causes greater loss of magnesium from cells, creating a vicious cycle.

Continue Learning about Magnesium

How can I take magnesium?
For most of us, all the magnesium we need comes in the form of food. Foods rich in magnesium include...
What is the role of magnesium in my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Make sure that you are getting sufficient magnesium to counterbalance supplemental and food intake o...
How to Avoid Vitamin and Prescription Drug Interactions
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?