What causes Lyme disease?

Lyme disease is caused by a deer tick. When the deer tick bites a person or animal, it can spread the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi into their blood, causing an infection. If the tick stays attached to you for longer than a day, you are more likely to get Lyme disease. Deer ticks are most commonly found in areas with woods and lots of high grass. The ticks are tiny, and may be extremely difficult to see.

Continue Learning about Lyme Disease

Is It Lyme Disease, or Something Else?
Is It Lyme Disease, or Something Else?
Lyme disease affects an estimated 300,000 people in the United States each year. Despite its increasing prevalence, there are many lingering myths abo...
What are the neurological complications of lyme disease?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial infection trasmitted by a tick bite.  It primarily occurs in t...
Is Lyme disease serious?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Lyme disease can be very serious if left untreated; there are several warning signs and symptoms to ...
How Do I Know If I Have a Tick Bite?
How Do I Know If I Have a Tick Bite?