How common is Lyme disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The cases of Lyme disease have been on the rise since the mid-1990s. In 2009, there were approximately 29,959 reported cases of Lyme disease. Lyme disease is most common in the Northeast, mid-Atlantic, and north central states. In 2001, 96% of Lyme disease cases were reported from the following states: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
Lyme disease can be very common depending on where you live; deer ticks that carry the illness are mainly found in the northeastern U.S. Watch public health specialist Peter DeLucia, MPA, discuss why you should be especially careful in wooded areas. 
Leopold D. Galland, MD
Let's check the math: At present there are about 30,000 new cases of Lyme disease reported to state health departments each year. Everyone acknowledges that under-reporting is the rule, so that there are undoubtedly many more cases of Lyme disease acquired in the U.S. every year. The annual incidence is probably more than 100,000 new cases of Lyme disease each year.

Continue Learning about Lyme Disease

Know the Symptoms of Lyme Disease
Know the Symptoms of Lyme Disease
The CDC gets 30,000 reports annually about Americans with Lyme disease. But they discovered the actual number of folks diagnosed with the infection is...
What are the neurological complications of lyme disease?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial organism transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected tic...
Is Lyme disease serious?
Lyme disease is serious. It can lead to permanent and significant problems. Left untreated, Lyme...
How Do I Know If I Have a Tick Bite?
How Do I Know If I Have a Tick Bite?