How should I change my living room if I have Parkinson's disease?

Here are some tips for making your living room safer and more accessible if you have Parkinson's disease:
  • Walking or wheeling on carpet is easier if the carpet pile is very short. It is easier still on wood, linoleum, or ceramic floors; however, bare floors and ceramic tiles can be slippery when wet, so use caution. You may want to consider changing the floor covering or surface.
  • Use furniture that is sturdy and stable. Generally, the best sitting chair has a relatively straight back, a firm, shallow seat, and armrests. Avoid low, heavily upholstered couches and chairs, because it is often difficult to rise from them without help. Sofas or chairs should be approximately 17 inches off the ground; the seat should be no lower than knee height. Add a firm cushion or attach risers to the chair legs to increase the height of the chair. For some, a comfortable, heavy rocking chair with armrests may help, because it can give you an extra boost when rising.
  • Place a clear plastic chair protector on upholstered dining room chairs and gain several advantages—prevent spills from staining fabric and make it easier to change position and slide on and off the chair seat.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

How can I make meal preparation easier if have Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Begin by building more time into your schedule to prepare and eat meals. Make the kitchen or din...
What should I do if I'm diagnosed with Parkinson's disease?
Learn about your illness. Don’t be afraid to read about Parkinson’s disease or talk to others wh...
Aside from Dopamine, Are there Other Things To Do for Restless Legs Syndrome?
What Is Atypical Parkinson's Disease?
What Is Atypical Parkinson's Disease?