How can taking baking soda supplements help improve chronic kidney disease?

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Daily supplementation with common sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) slows the progression rate of renal failure to end-stage renal disease and improves nutritional status among patients with chronic kidney disease. According to a study of 134 patients using 600 mg of oral sodium bicarbonate tablets, the patients taking the baking soda had lowered need for drugs and felt better using this simple and common kitchen ingredient.

It is possible the balancing of patient's blood to become less acidotic (acidic) may be the reason for the benefit.

Although intake of sodium was higher for the sodium bicarbonate patients versus the control group, there was no increased blood pressure. For best safety, patients with kidney disease should speak to their medical doctors or nephrologists before changing their regimen of foods or adding supplements.

Continue Learning about Living With Kidney Disease

Which medications might be risky for someone with kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
There are five common types of prescription and over-the-counter medications that may need to be adj...
Is it safe to eat Southern-style foods if I have chronic kidney disease?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
Researchers say foods labeled as Southern-style could lead to a higher risk of death for people with...
What should I do if I have kidney disease and I'm taking other medications?
Always speak with your clinician and pharmacist to determine whether the medications that you're tak...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?