How can a sitz bath help relieve BPH symptoms?

A sitz bath is a common form of hydrotherapy that may be used to relieve benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) symptoms. A sitz bath helps relax the smooth muscle in the prostate, easing the constriction of the urethra and bladder neck and increasing blood circulation to the pelvic region.

A sitz bath may involve hot or cold water or a combination of the two. The hot bath seems to be most useful for BPH. It involves soaking for 3 to 10 minutes in water that is about 105 degrees F to 115 degrees F, and then sponging the pelvic area with cool water. The cold bath involves sitting for 3 minutes in a tub of hot water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F) followed by 30 seconds in a second tub of cool water (55 degrees F to 85 degrees F). (The level of the hot water in the first tub should always be about 1 inch higher than the water level in the second tub.) Repeat this procedure three times. The last bath should always be with cool water.

Continue Learning about Living With An Enlarged Prostate

How can caffeine affect an enlarged prostate?
Most urologists believe that caffeine can irritate an enlarged prostate, so it is best to limit ...
How can I reduce pressure on my prostate if I have BPH?
Any pressure on the prostate can make benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) symptoms worse. Excess ...
What are the dietary recommendations for someone with an enlarged prostate?
Carmen Patrick Mohan, MDCarmen Patrick Mohan, MD
The same dietary and activity recommendations generally used to promote good health apply to those w...
What are the benefits of watchful waiting for BPH?
The primary benefit of watchful waiting for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prost...