What are the benefits of weight loss if I have diabetes?

There are many benefits of weight loss for people with diabetes. Here are just a few. Some improve your health, and others help you feel better. As you get ready to lose weight, make a list of how losing a few pounds will benefit you. Put this list on your refrigerator or bathroom mirror.

• Lower blood glucose if your blood glucose is higher than normal
  • Lower blood pressure if your blood pressure is higher than normal
  • Improve your blood fats if they are not in a healthy range
  • Lighten the stress on your hips, knees, ankles and feet
  • Move around easier and breathe easier
  • Have more energy
  • Play more with your children or grandchildren

A large study, called the Diabetes Prevention Program, showed that if people at risk for type 2 diabetes lost a small amount of weight and became more active for three years, they could prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. People also had other benefits of weight loss, like lowered blood pressure.

If you already have diabetes, losing 10 to 15 pounds may help you lower your blood glucose and blood pressure and improve your blood fats. Losing this weight may also help you cut down on some of the medicines you take. If you lose weight, talk to your doctor about whether you need to make changes in your medicines.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
If you live with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, exercise is one of the best things you can do to offset diabetic damage to your heart and circulatory syst...
Can I lose weight by skipping meals if I have diabetes?
Losing weight if you have diabetes means you need to pay attention to how much and how often you eat...
What's Your Exercise Personality?
What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?
 Find a workout routine you enjoy.
Are There Any Traditional Homeopathic Remedies That Are Effective to Treat Diabetes?