How can I stay safe in hot weather if I have diabetes?

Dehydration and heat exhaustion can be especially bad for people with diabetes. During extreme heat, try to stay indoors as much as possible and drink plenty of fluids. Seek shelter if you do not have air conditioning and the heat is beginning to make you feel ill. Call your doctor if you feel dizzy, confused, or have trouble controlling your blood glucose in the heat.

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

How Do You Encourage Patients to Keep Their Diabetes Under Control?
Making lifestyle changes is an important part of managing diabetes. In this video, endocrinologist Jack Merendino, MD, explains how changing the way y...
Where can I find people to talk to about living with diabetes?
Scott JohnsonScott Johnson
Start where you already are. Do you use Facebook? Search some diabetes related groups and pages. ...
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes5 Ways to Protect Your Heart When You Have Diabetes
Keep your heart healthy with these diabetes-friendly lifestyle changes.
What Causes Complications From Type 2 Diabetes?