How much medication should I pack when traveling if I have diabetes?

If you are planning to travel and have diabetes, pack extra medications. Traveling for a week? Pack two weeks’ worth of your diabetes medications in case of travel delays or misplaced supplies.

Be sure to include everything you need, including insulin, syringes, testing strips, extra batteries for your pump, a first-aid kit and glucagon emergency kit. If you use an insulin pump, ask the company if you can bring a backup in case yours fails. Carry a prescription from your doctor for insulin or oral medication in case of an emergency.

Keep your medications and supplies close at hand and away from extreme temperatures—too hot or too cold. If you’re traveling by car, bus or train, don’t put them in the trunk or outer baggage compartment. You may need an insulated travel bag if you’ll be hiking or out in the elements. If you’re flying, put your supplies and medications in a carry-on, not in a checked bag, and keep them in the original packaging in a bag separate from your toiletries, as requested by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

Continue Learning about Living with Diabetes

Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
Stay Safe When Exercising With Diabetes
If you live with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, exercise is one of the best things you can do to offset diabetic damage to your heart and circulatory syst...
What precautions should I take before exercising if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Just because you have diabetes doesn't mean you have to sit on the sidelines. Get advice on what to ...
What's Your Exercise Personality?
What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?What's Your Exercise Personality?
 Find a workout routine you enjoy.
Can Stress Affect My Blood Sugar Levels?