How much of the liver is removed in liver surgery?

The removal of portions of the liver depends on if it’s normal and functioning; surgery can remove up to two-thirds of the liver.

In most patients who do not have liver cirrhosis, up to 75% of the liver can be removed safely. In patients with cirrhosis, surgeons remove as little of the liver as possible.

Continue Learning about Liver Disease Treatment

As a woman, what do I do if I think I have primary biliary cholangitis?
As a woman, if you think you have primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), formerly known as primary bilia...
What are the treatment options for liver disease?
Treatment options vary depending on the specific liver condition. Some conditions like hepatitis are...
Is there a cure for liver disease?
Since cure implies a return to good health and recover, it is possible to cure some liver diseases. ...
What is the treatment for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)?
There are currently no medications approved for treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), an...