Should I talk to my doctor about my mouth cancer symptoms?

Make sure to tell your dentist about any problems you have when chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving your tongue or jaw. During your dental visit, your dentist can talk to you about your health history and examine these areas for signs of mouth and/or throat cancer.

Regular visits to your dentist can improve the chances that any suspicious changes in your oral health will be caught early, at a time when cancer can be treated more easily.

The symptoms of mouth or throat cancer can include:
  • sores that bleed easily or do not heal
  • a thick or hard spot or lump
  • a roughened or crusted area
  • numbness, pain or tenderness
  • a change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite down
You should talk to your doctor or dentist about any mouth cancer symptoms immediately so they can be diagnosed and treated early. Symptoms associated with mouth and oral cancer, such as loose teeth, difficulty swallowing, and bleeding inside the mouth may be caused by another health problem not related to mouth cancer.

However, if you do have cancer, early detection is important to determine the best treatment, reduce the possibility of the cancer spreading to other parts of your body, and to increase the chances of survival. 

Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your mouth cancer symptoms if they last more than a few weeks. There are conditions other than cancer that your symptoms may be indicative of. It is important to identify and treat mouth cancer to ensure proper precautions are taken to minimize its impact.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

Is there a cure for oral cancer?
Marshall Posner, MDMarshall Posner, MD
Yes there is a cure if it is found in time and you have a team of caregivers that include a surgeon,...
How common is oral cancer?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Roughly 43,200 Americans are diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer every year, and more than 8,00...
What is salivary gland cancer?
Salivary gland cancer is a rare cancer that occurs in the glands in your mouth, neck and throat that...
Is a whitish patch in my mouth a sign of oral cancer?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
White patches in the mouth are reactions to irritation and/or trauma. Most of these patches are comp...