How long will I survive with mouth cancer?

RealAge
Administration
Mouth cancer (oral cancer) is not an immediate death sentence, but it can be life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated early. If oral cancer is diagnosed in the early stages, the survival rate is about 81%. However, many are found in the late stages resulting in a death rate of about 45% at 5 years of diagnosis. These late stage diagnoses often occur because of the lack of public awareness and screening opportunities. Mouth cancer begins as sore or growth on your tongue, lips, or floor of your mouth, and it can spread to surrounding areas. Talk to your doctor or dentist about screenings for and  symptoms of mouth or oral cancer.

The success rate for treating mouth cancer is very high if it has not spread to the lymph nodes. About 68 percent of people will survive for 5 or more years after diagnosis. Many of these people can live a relatively long and normal life. Only 25 percent of people survive for 5 or more years after the lymph nodes become cancerous. In general, 25 percent of all mouth cancer cases are fatal. After treatment, there is also a risk of recurrence.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

Oral Cancer

Oral Cancer

Oral cancer can grow anywhere in the oral cavity, which includes our lips, tongue, gums and even the floor and roof of our mouths. There are several types of oral cancer, including squamous cell carcinoma and malignant melanoma. I...

f detected early, oral cancer can be cured by surgically removing cancerous growths or tumors or using radiation therapy. Dentists are your first line of defense in early detection, since they are likely the first to spot a precancerous or cancerous lesion. Men are more likely to develop oral cancer, making it the sixth most common cancer among men. Smoking and drinking alcohol in excess can increase your risk. Learn more about preventing and treating oral cancer with expert advice from Sharecare.