How should I do short arc squats?

A great way to do short arc squats will be to go up to the end of your kitchen table or to a surface that is higher than a chair. Stand in front of the surface with your heels towards.  Slow bend at your hips and knees lowering you to the surface of choice.  Be sure to keep your weight in your heels and to keep yourself as balanced and as controlled as possible. Return to the starting position.

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Here's how to do the short arc squats/wall slides exercise:
1. Stand with your back up against a wall and your legs shoulder width apart. Place two rolled towels or a medicine ball between your knees.

2. Brace your core and pull your navel toward your spine.

3. While keeping your core engaged, slowly slide your back down the wall until your knees are bent to approximately 60 degrees. This is just shy of parallel to the floor. Limiting the knee bend will decrease the pressure on your knees and still work your quads.

4. Hold in the bent position for ten seconds and repeat ten times. Do two sets.
Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

It's one of the undeniable facts of life. After we reach a certain age, our bodies change. No matter how fit we may have been at 20, we're very different people after 40. But growing older doesn't...

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
What is an alternate way of doing squats?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
A great squat is the box squat. Take an object, a bench or a chair and stand in front of the object....
How should I do a single-leg stance?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
To do a single-leg stance, stand on one foot for up to 30 seconds. Put your foot down and steady...
What Is a Good Exercise to Work My Inner Thighs?