When is general anesthesia used during labor and childbirth?

General anesthetics are medications that put you to sleep (make you lose consciousness). If you have general anesthesia, you are not awake and you feel no pain. General anesthesia often is used during labor and childbirth when a regional block anesthetic is not possible or is not the best choice for medical or other reasons. It can be started quickly and causes a rapid loss of consciousness. Therefore, it is often used when an urgent cesarean delivery is needed.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
Will my bladder spontaneously empty while I'm in labor?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Emptying your bladder spontaneously during labor implies that mom has no control over her bladder. T...
Can petite women safely give birth vaginally?
Dr. Evelyn Minaya, MDDr. Evelyn Minaya, MD
Petite women can absolutely have safe vaginal births; body size is not the only factor that weighs i...
What Is the Best Treatment for Postpartum Depression?