When is general anesthesia used during labor and childbirth?

General anesthetics are medications that put you to sleep (make you lose consciousness). If you have general anesthesia, you are not awake and you feel no pain. General anesthesia often is used during labor and childbirth when a regional block anesthetic is not possible or is not the best choice for medical or other reasons. It can be started quickly and causes a rapid loss of consciousness. Therefore, it is often used when an urgent cesarean delivery is needed.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
Why is delivery often perceived as risky and painful?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Pregnancy and birth are normal, healthy processes for most women, the vast majority of whom have hea...
Can sexual intercourse help stimulate labor?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
Yes, sexual intercourse can help stimulate labor. Prostaglandins in semen helps promote labor.
Understanding and Treating PMS
Understanding and Treating PMS