How does a spinal block work during labor and delivery?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A spinal block involves the injection of a narcotic or anesthetic directly into the spinal fluid, at the base of the spine. It provides pain relief to the lower body while the patient remains awake and alert. It is usually given during active labor or just prior to a cesarean birth. The pain relief effects of a spinal block begin immediately and last for approximately 2 hours.

A spinal block -- like an epidural block -- is an injection in the lower back. While you sit or lie on your side in bed, a small amount of medication is injected into the spinal fluid to numb the lower half of the body. It brings good relief from pain and starts working fast, but it lasts only an hour or two.

A spinal block can be given using a much thinner needle than an epidural block in the same place on the back where an epidural block is placed. The spinal block uses a much smaller dose of the drug, and it is injected into the sac of spinal fluid below the level of the spinal cord. Once this drug is injected, pain relief occurs right away.

A spinal block usually is given only once during labor, so it is best suited for pain relief during delivery. A spinal block with a much stronger medication (anesthetic, not analgesic) is often used for a cesarean delivery. It also can be used in a vaginal birth if the baby needs to be helped out of the birth canal with forceps or by vacuum extraction.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
What causes a breech birth?
Linda S. Katz, MDLinda S. Katz, MD
A breech birth is when the baby is positioned to come out feet or butt first. In this video, I will ...
What do I do if parts of my baby's body turn blue?
That means blood is not being properly distributed throughout the body. React fast on this one unles...
What Common Mistakes Do Women Make During Childbirth?