What are common stressors that hospitalized children may experience?

Some common stressors that hospitalized children may experience include the following:
  • loss of bodily control
  • forced dependence
  • loss of competence
  • fear of bodily mutation or deformities
  • fear of loss of bodily functions
  • fear of pain
  • fear of death
  • fear of anesthesia (unknown sleep)
  • isolated from peers and school
  • limited caregiver involvement
This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Sacrificing Sleep for Study Time Doesn't Make the Grade
It’s back to school season, with students (and parents) saying goodbye to the freewheeling days of summer and returning to the structure of the academ...
Why should I limit my child's visitors in the hospital?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If many friends and family visit your child at the hospital, it is likely that someone will be i...
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
A sick child can be a scary thing for parents. A call to the pediatrician can calm your fears, but these 6 signs and symptoms could mean a trip to the...
Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying
Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying