Are there OTC medications to treat uric acid kidney stones?

Sodium Bicarbonate (chewable tablets or powder) is probably the only readily available over-the-counter (OTC) medication to treat uric acid kidney stones. It is useful in patients who have persistent acidic urine as the cause of their uric acid stones. Patients must test their urine regularly with pH paper (which turns different colors depending on whether the urine is acidic or alkaline). Too much sodium bicarbonate will make the urine too alkaline and promote the formation of calcium phosphate stones.
Note: Consult your health care provider before starting any OTC or other medication. Patients taking sodium bicarbonate may experience an increase in side effects or a decrease in effectiveness of their current medications. 

Continue Learning about Kidney Stone Treatment

How do I know if my ESWL for kidney stones was successful?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
Your doctor will order an abdominal xray or CT scan to check that the stone is gone, usually 2-4...
Will I need to be in a hospital to have large kidney stones removed?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The procedures used to remove large kidney stones -- percutaneous nephrolithotomy and percutaneous n...
What is the best treatment for staghorn kidney stones?
Rishi A. Modh, MDRishi A. Modh, MD
The best treatment for staghorn kidney stones is through percutaneous nephrolithotomy, suggests Rish...
Is lithotripsy necessary for a kidney stone?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
While lithotripsy is not mandatory for all kidney stones, the majority of them would benefit from it...