Can childhood kidney tumors affect children of any age?

Different types of childhood kidney tumors can affect children of various ages. Wilms tumor, which is the most common type of childhood kidney tumor, usually affects young children. Children with Wilms tumor are almost always under the age of 6, with an average age of diagnosis of 3 years old. Other types of childhood kidney tumors may affect a wide age range, depending on the type. For instance, rhabdoid tumor of the kidney and mesoblastic nephroma are almost always found in infants or very young children, while renal cell carcinoma is very rare among young children but more commonly affects teenagers between 15 and 19 years old.

Continue Learning about Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer

What are the symptoms of kidney cancer?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
In the early stages, renal cell cancer usually causes no clear signs or symptoms. As the tumor grows...
What factors affect my prognosis with renal cell cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of the di...
What are the types of kidney tumors I could have?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Tumors of the kidney require surgical excision as well as combined management with pediatric onc...
What is renal cell cancer?
Renal cell cancer (also called kidney cancer or renal adenocarcinoma) is a disease in which malignan...