Why should I take insulin if I have diabetes?

If you have type 1 diabetes, you need insulin to live every day. Without insulin, your body can't get fuel from food.

If you have type 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes, your doctor has determined that your body needs extra help processing glucose. Adding insulin to your treatment plan will do this. Like your other diabetes medications, it helps control your blood glucose and lowers the chance that your diabetes will cause serious problems.

Continue Learning about Insulin

What You Need to Know About Insulin
What You Need to Know About Insulin
Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, SVP of Clinical Strategy with Sharecare, explain why insulin is one of the most important hormones in the human body, and...
What is rapid-acting insulin for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Rapid-acting insulin for diabetes is the fastest of all insulins. You take this kind of insulin righ...
What happens if I miss a dose of insulin?
Using insulin exactly as instructed by your doctor is vital to maintaining healthy blood sugar level...
Why Should I Avoid Foods Made with White Flour?