How can I protect myself and my family during a pandemic?

Taking preventive measures is the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your family against a pandemic. In this video, Dr. Oz guest Dr. Allison Aiello reveals essential preventive steps you should take and what supplies you may need.

Individuals living in developed countries have a variety of means by which they can decrease the likelihood of falling ill from an infectious disease pandemic. As long as public services such as water treatment, sewage, refrigeration, and waste disposal are available and biological terrorism is not a factor, infectious epidemics and pandemics would more likely result from an airborne viral pathogen such as influenza. The single most important precaution you can take in the event of this sort of outbreak is strict and frequent hand washing. This helps greatly in decreasing the spread of airborne respiratory pathogens. Other common sense precautions include covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze and staying home if you have flu symptoms. You can also consider getting a flu shot early in the course of such an outbreak, after talking with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Proper Hygiene Tips to Keep Your Family Disease-Free
Q: Our local paper published an alert that hand, mouth, and foot disease is on the rise and I don’t even know what it is. My kids are off to school an...
What role does infectious disease play in a pandemic?
Any disease caused by a microorganism that is capable of spreading through a population can be terme...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Do We Really Know about Malaria Today?