How can I help bring down my child's fever?

Intermountain Healthcare
Administration
If your child's temperature is above 100.4 degrees F, a variety of methods can be used to reduce the fever. The goal is to help heat leave the child's body without causing the child to shiver or have goose bumps. Shivering actually causes the temperature to go up. A fever can be brought down in the following ways:
  1. Dress your child in thin pajamas, shorts, underwear, or diapers. It is normal to want to bundle the child, but bundling will increase the temperature.
  2. Cover your child with only a sheet or leave him uncovered. Do not cover with blankets until the temperature returns to normal.
  3. Make sure the room gets lots of moving air. Small fans may be used to keep air moving.
  4. Give your child lots of fluids. Fluids are needed to help get rid of infection and replace the fluids that are lost through the skin during a fever.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Infectious Disease

Infectious Disease

Infections are caused by viruses, bacteria, mold and other organisms and lead to conditions like flu, chicken pox, pneumonia, sore throat, rashes, malaria and other ills. An infection occurs when these germs attack the body, causi...

ng it to respond with antibodies and white blood cells to defend itself. Preventing infectious disease involves eating a healthy diet, getting proper exercise to keep the body strong, and keeping clean by washing hands regularly.