What should I ask my doctor about an implantable loop recorder?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about wearing an implantable loop recorder. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.
  • What symptoms make me a good candidate for an implantable loop recorder?
  • What will the implantable loop recorder tell us about my heart health?
  • Will I need to use an activator to turn on my implantable loop recorder?
  • Do I need to have an empty stomach before the procedure to insert the recorder? Should I withhold any of my medications? Are there any medications that I will need to take?
  • Will I have limitations after the procedure to insert the recorder? Will I need to have someone who can drive me home?
  • Are there activities I should avoid while I have the recorder?
  • When will the implantable loop recorder likely be removed?
  • What happens next if the data from the implantable loop recorder shows abnormal heart rhythms?

Continue Learning about Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Each year, hundreds of thousands of Americans with heart disease get a stent—a tiny mesh tube just a tad wider than a toothpick—to open a blocked or n...
How is a stent placed in the body?
SCAISCAI
Stents are tiny, metal mesh tubes that are placed in arteries to keep an artery from collapsing afte...
Can a stent get clogged?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A stent can get clogged. A complication of a stent is that it can get restenosed by gradual renarrow...
What Kinds of Implants Are Used to Treat Artrial Fibrillation?