How does smoking affect fetal and infant eye health?

Studies have also shown a strong association between smoking during pregnancy and the risk of invasive meningitis during early childhood. The risk of bacterial meningitis is five times higher among children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy. In addition to other severe health problems, childhood meningitis can cause inflammation of the cornea and pink eye.
Smoking during pregnancy is also associated with low birth weight and premature birth. Also, oxygen therapy given to sustain the lives of premature infants can cause retinopathy of prematurity, leading to permanent vision loss or blindness.
There are resources to help you quit smoking
There are numerous community organizations committed to helping people quit smoking. The American Cancer Society (ACS) offers smoking cessation classes around the United States. Contact ACS at 800.ACS.2345 or online at www.cancer.org to find a chapter near you.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

How does smoking affect my health?
Cigarette smoking is the single most preventable cause of premature death in the United States, ...
How does smoking affect pregnant women and their babies?
Riverside Emergency and Trauma CenterRiverside Emergency and Trauma Center
Smoking cigarettes is very harmful to your health and could also affect the health of your baby. Not...
How Does Smoking Affect My Skin Health?
How Does Smoking Affect My Skin Health?
Is It Still Possible to Get COPD or Emphysema Years After I Quit Smoking?